You know the phrase It Girl? Our friends over at Wikipedia say it’s slang for a singularly stylish young woman who is sexy without flaunting her sexuality.
British TV host Alexa Chung has got “it”. She has a wonderfully self-defined, personal, individual style that transcends trends.
And, more to the point, Alexa Chung loves vintage and she wears it well.
Basically, whatever Chung wears, we want. She’s got that “chic without trying too hard” thing that’s actually really well thought out but looks effortless. She’s feminine but not fussy and she never looks overdone.
Here are some photos of her in vintage:
Here’s what I’ve learned from exploring her down to earth vintage style:
- Wear vintage clothing with modern shoes. Alexa goes for black ankle boots or Converse to toughen up a look
- Mix and match. This is key! Alexa wears a single standout piece of vintage with modern pieces from chain stores (or with designer threads)
- Wear vintage coats or jackets with a modern clothing OR wear a modern denim or leather jacket with vintage
- Pair a modern handbag with a vintage outfit
- Keep hair and makeup simple and modern, but don’t skip the lipstick
- Choose a single piece of jewelry.
- Don’t show too much skin. Being confident and self possessed is sexy in itself.