If you were to closely watch the pendulum of fashion, you’d get very dizzy. Modern designers continually draw from the well of the past, dipping into styles of previous decades and combining them with a modern twist. It’s enough to give you deja vu all over again.
With that in mind, I’m looking at the new fall styles. What I’m seeing echoes the vintage clothes I have around me in the shop right now. I’ve got to ask: why not just wear vintage?
The Seven Top Trends for 2017 (that could easily be done with vintage):
- 70’s plaids: oversized boxy wool tartans and houndstooth checks
- Luxe velvet: just like a young Stevie Nicks would have worn
- Silver lame’: metallic shimmery disco fabrics (gold lame’, too)
- Power suits: classic 1980’s lady boss jackets with bold shoulder pads
- Retro winter hats: 60’s high-crown fur toppers
- Vintage floral prints: Yves San Laurent’s 70’s folkloric styles with a touch of old school Ralph Lauren Americana
- High waist jeans: non-stretch, light wash straight leg denim