For a complex constellation of reasons, French ladies have that whole cool girl, classic-meets-quirky style thing down.
So in this era of lists, I give you this simplified approach to French style: the Magnificent Seven basics that define one kind of French look.
Note how vintage pieces are worn with modern ones in each outfit.
1. Mens’ blazer. Try it belted or buttoned. Push up or roll the sleeves. How about wearing a blazer over a camisole?
Vintage plaid boy’s school blazer, worn just a bit too small
Vintage 1980’s blazer, worn with shorts and tights
2. Trench Coat. Again, roll or push up the sleeves for a casual vibe. Tie the belt in the back. Avoid pearls, long skirts or headbands so it’s more downtown than uptown.
Vintage trench coat, jeans and heels
Vintage trench coat worn one size too big
3. Navy Blue Sweater. With bangle bracelets, a pencil skirt, white jeans or loose, “boyfriend” jeans, it’s perfection.
Navy sweater, white jeans, scarf, flats
Navy sweater over a white button down shirt with loose fit jeans and a vintage necklace
4. Tank Tops in black and white
A tank top under a vintage tuxedo jacket ( or “le smoking” to the French) with track pants
Jennifer Lawerence wears a tank top under a vintage blazer
5. Little Black Dress, of course. With big sunglasses and ballerina flats.
Vintage ittle black dresses with flats, done three ways
Little Black Dress, dressed down, with big sunglasses
6. Well fitting jeans. OK, that’s not just the French-it’s everyone.
Jeans with a vintage tuxedo jacket and Gaucho hat with new white sneakers
Jeans with a vintage slim fit jacket, flats and a scarf
7. Leather Jacket, worn slim-cut and unlined, paired with a feminine dress
Black leather jacket with a vintage chiffon dress
Another black leather jacket with a soft, flow-y vintage dress, tights, heels and a big tote
There you have it: some basics pieces mixed with vintage accents, worn with confidence.
vintage fashion |
Tags: antique and vintage shop, Florida vintage clothing store, French style, micanopy vintage clothing, Micanopy vintage store, vintage clothes Florida, vintage clothing store Micanopy, vintage shop Gainesville, vintage store Micanopy, Winters Past, Winters Past Micanopy |